Tuesday, November 08, 2011

My Encounter with Beading

Beading is one hobby that I have picked up by mere chance. I am hooked on to embroidery since my childhood days. Yes heard right from childhood days, barely from the age of eight. There was one of my aunties who had done a diploma in embroidery and her expertise in sewing would alter any ordinary fabric into a wow marvellous piece of handicraft. It's unfortunate that she never opted embroidery as her vocation cause I believe she had the talent to become a successful business woman had she started selling her sewn bedclothes and tableclothes. They were simply amazing !!

So as imitating elders comes naturally to any child, same was with me. Auntie used to visit our house with a pouch containing needles and fabrics and as she would busy herself readily in conversation with my mother, her hands would skillfully continue maneuvering the motifs into beautiful pieces of art, simultaneously. Sitting by her side while mutely observing the dexterity of her hands I would feel an urge swelling inside me to imitate her and swept away by that growing urge, I made repeated pleas to have her teach me some stitches. On my persistence, she showed me how to make certain stitches including chain stiches and buttonholes.That was the beginning. I stitched some wonderful tableclothes, during my school days , which my mother still uses. But after sometime as I started growing up and got myself entangled in what seemed neverending pursuit of education...graduation, postgraduation....my mother gradually stopped buying me threads and fabrics in order to put pressure on me to keep studies as my first priority. Thus embroidery went on the backburner until I got married and returned to Kolkata from Pune, within three months, to join back school where I had been working as an assistant teacher after my postgraduation.

During my short-term absence from work, one or two new teachers were recruited in school. B was one of the newly recruits who joined as a temporary teacher in the same subject as me...English. She is of the same age as mine. Hence just within few days we made a good rapport with one another. I came to know of her brilliance in drawing. As our friendship bloomed and we started visiting each other, one day at her home I discovered a salwar piece she was sewing. The motif was designed so beautifully on the fabric that I thought of picking up my needles again. On my insistence she drew some beautiful motifs on the dupatta of one of my salwaars and thus I reverted to my old hobby once again. My passion for embroidery made me scout through the cyberworld in quest of patterns and stitches unknown to me. I learned a lot about world embroidery and came to know that embroidery involves such a wide gamut of subjects that learning all of them in one life is next to impossible.

My hunger for learning more and more about embroidery one day brought me vis-a-vis with another exquisite craft...Beading. Now I guess you might have been able to corelate the introductory statement of this article to the rest of my blabbering. One thing leading to another, chance led me to beading. As I moped around different websites featuring the works of a host of terrifically talented people in the art of beading, I deliberated to start beading jewellaries. But unlike embroidery I am only a novice here. I have merely started to walk in the art of beading...and I have a long way to go, a lot of things to learn and enjoy.Beading is strenuous for eyes but the strain seems trivial to the joy that I feel upon completion of a bracelet, earring or necklace created by me.Recently I wove a necklace using Dutch Spiral Stitch that I learnt couple of days back. The snaps are attached with the write-up.


No comments: